Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Tribute to Annie Matilda Wegner (My Grandmother)

I had coffee with my dear sister, Trissie. I was telling her about researching our genealogy. She shared with me about how she meet with our grandmother, Annie Matilda Wegner, when she lived near her at Fordsdale, Qld; and how she loved listening to her stories about her beginnings and history on the farm. I don't remember much about my grandmother. My grandmother died age 83. My brief memory when I visited her as a child, is that she worked hard managing a dairy farm. My grandfather died in 1952. I remember all the lovely cakes she would bake on her wood stove for the big morning teas on the dairy farm. She had nine children and lost the first in child birth as there were not many doctors in those days. I recall Mum telling the story often how it was a painful experience for her. On our birthdays, until she died, she would buy something for our glory box. I do not know what it is called today. It was something practical like tea towels, hand towels that she crotched and doilies. Even though they were unusual gifts for a child, I looked forward to receiving them as I felt the love, care and time she took in adding a special hand-made touch. They were always pretty colours too.
I asked my sister to share some of the stories my grandmother told her with me so I could write them down and add them to my genealogy history. She said she couldn't remember. At the right moment, I am sure she would remember just like I remembered the little snippets I have shared in my blog.
I would encourage others to share their family memories to keep your family and their spirits alive. They make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment