Friday, January 14, 2011

1974 Floods Australia Day Weekend Memories

My heart goes out to the people who have suffered so much loss. I am sure it is an experience that you  won’t forget. My prayers and thoughts are with all the flood victims. It is a chance for a new beginning, to clean up and start afresh. We don’t know the reasons why this has happened. I am thankful to God that where I live and have lived  has not been affected by this flood or the 1974 floods on the Australia Day weekend. 
On the Australia Day weekend, January 1974, I was living with my Mum and Dad at Seven Hills, Brisbane, Queensland. I recall it was an extremely hot day in the high 40°C. To feel a little cooler we decided to have lunch underneath the house.  I remember looking up at the sky which was dark green in colour, almost black and thinking to myself that there would be a down pour of rain, big hail and cause destruction. I even had an irrational thought was this the end of the world due to the darkness of the sky. We already had extremely bad storms that month.
During that time, I was working as an office/payroll clerk at Watson Ferguson (Printing Company) in Glenelg Street, South Brisbane on the bank of the Brisbane River.  I knew it would be affected.  I saw our building during the news on our black and white TV over the Australia Day weekend.   It was more than 14 feet under water. The whole bottom floor was covered where all the large printers (thousands of dollars worth of equipment) were stationed.  I worked in the office on the top floor.
When Tuesday came, I was not sure what to do about work whether to go or not. We did not have a phone so my Manager could not contact me.  As I was payroll clerk, I knew employees would be looking for their pay which was paid in cash in those days. On Wednesday 31st January, I decided I would venture into my work at South Brisbane.  I had no idea what to expect or how bad it was as where I lived had heavy showers but no sign of water anywhere. I knew the water at South Brisbane had gone down by the Wednesday and trains were running. Before going in, I phoned work on a pay phone near our home. I thought I might be needed.
My Most Embarrassing Moment 
I didn’t think about what it would be like and no one had advised me what I should wear.  I dressed like I normally did for work which was not sensible considering the circumstances.  I remember exactly what I wore because I was very embarrassed during and after the event. I wore a very short black spotted dress, the fashion in those days.  I wore stockings and my clean white cork sandals.  I headed off to work. I arrived at South Brisbane Station and made my way down to Glenelg Street.  It was a site, mud and debris everywhere.  Every step I took I realised I was foolish to go in dressed as I did and wished I had not made the decision to come in. The footpaths and roads were muddy.  My shoes twisted and turned in the slimy mud. I think I took off my shoes as I was worried I would fall over. By the time I reached my work my stockings were covered in mud. There were men everywhere cleaning up the downstairs area. I spoke with one of the managers of the printing section. He looked at me and said with a smile on his face, “What are you doing here?” “Go home.” He said everyone has been paid, one of the other office clerks had been contacted to help out with the pays. Everyone was dressed appropriately for working in a muddy environment.  I think I turned a bright red. I have never felt so useless in my life. I turned around as quick as a flash, embarrassed but relieved and headed back home to my comfortable and safe environment. As you can see I have never forgotten that moment.
I was amazed and surprised how much cleaner everything looked at South Brisbane, the surrounding areas and my work by the following Monday, 5th February, 1974. It was almost a short memory. The men must have worked very hard in just a few days. It was their livelihood.
Heritage
I am currently doing my genealogy and have discovered that my great, great grandfather and grandmother and grandfather on my Mother’s side came over on the Duke of Westminster in 1884 from Germany to start a new life. I think they were pioneers of Fordsdale, Queensland. I also discovered my grandfather on my Dad’s side fought in World War 1 and my father fought in World War 11. Without their fighting spirit and determination to give their generations a future, I would not be here today. I am grateful to God for them. I hope that  I can make the same difference they did.
A New Beginning
It makes me think now to cherish, enjoy, appreciate and be thankful for the times when we are safe, comfortable, have family, good friends and have a place to come home to. Everyday is a new beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment