Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My Wonderful Grandmother


About my sister Kaye:
My dear sister Kaye is very creative. She has done many things in her lifetime. I would say her creative style is unique. She has shared this ballad of our grandmother with me and I am now sharing it with whoever would like to read it. She is married to Russell Coglan, the man next to her in the photo left.

A Ballad about Grandma Wegner
by Kaye Coglan (my sister)

Refrain:
Low down in yonder valley Beneath Mt Whitestone’s peak
lies a dairy farm where watermelons grow
With Granny tilling the earth at her feet. 

Alone with fourteen children
farming till dawn till dusk
planting pumpkin and potato seeds,
digging and kicking up some dust. 

Milking became easier for granny
machinery lessened the load,
a supplier for cheese started to flow
around the windy mountainous roads.  

(Refrain) 

One night when the moon was ripe
she went out and got a fright
with children sleeping she shut the door
and wondered what was in her sight?   

Chickens clucking making a fuss
in a moon lit coop dingy and dark
the struggle became loud then it ran,
a cunning fox ripping the chickens apart.  

(Refrain) 

The fox got away with its meal
everything quieten down after its steal,
stillness in the midst set in the valley below~
the moon shone in the midnight glow. 

Granny fell asleep on the rocking chair~
dawn broke upon her face
children laughing around the place~
Granny sits and crochets doilies and lace. 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Kaye. I love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughtfulness and very kind words. I wonder when her birthday was? luv Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie Matilda Wegner was born 23 October, 1900.

    ReplyDelete