Friday, November 12, 2010

Living in 21st Century

On a daily basis I am thankful that I have the opportunity to experience the technology that is available today. This morning I got up and used by Nintendo WII to measure my BMI (body, mass, index) and weight. I also  exercised using my WII fit Plus program. Later this morning, I will load my Fisher & Paykel dishwasher. Right now I am using my computer to write my blog. I own a TV that connects directly to UTube videos where you can educate yourself on just about anything. I have Foxtel and watch it on a 62" rear projection TV. I enjoy watching the old black and white movies which are fun to watch as they are crystal clear due to special software that upscales them to 1080p.
Back Row: Michael, Ross, Patrice (Trissie); 
Front Row: Jan (Jenny), Kaye, Bernie

When I was nine, we lived at Gatton, Australia. I remember getting up on a cold morning and sitting close to a wood stove to keep warm. My Mum used it daily to cook all our meals. She used a copper boiler to wash our clothes. She washed the dishes by hand. The house didn't have a hot water system so we boiled water to have a warm bath. We walked about 1km daily to school. We didn't watch much TV. I was one of six kids. We enjoyed ourselves playing in the yard. Dad made sure that we had a big yard to play in as he thought we were noisy inside. There wasn't a choice of toys. I remember it was fun back then too. Photo: Taken with one of the first Kodak instamatic camera-Kodak 100 instamatic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instamatic
To add to the bottom of this time period, torn up newspaper was toilet paper and our toilet was an outhouse in the back yard. This meant sometimes walking a few metres in the dark of night for relief.

3 comments:

  1. Those were the days alright - tough sometimes but a lot of fun
    Gordon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to the delete this photo because it is not the best photo of us (baby boomers). I think it portrays the times. Mum made our clothes on her precious singer sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete