Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My Heart - It Pays to Maintain Your Health

After the wedding on Monday 28th March, 2011, I went to my regular yearly appointment with my Cardiologist to check a problem with a leaky valve in my heart. I was referred to a Cardiologist by my GP two years ago after finding an irregular heart beat. I went to my GP and mentioned that I was tired more than normal and that my heart felt heavy and had some slight pain. I was monitoring any irregularities with my heart because my Mother had died from heart disease and both of my brothers had heart attacks. My oldest brother recently had quadruple bypass surgery. I wanted to make sure to avoid heart surgery by maintaining a healthy heart and to keep regular check ups. This wasn't to be. On the Monday after my echo-cardiogram my cardiologist advised it was time to operate. To get the process started he booked me in for two tests, a transoesophageal echo and an angiogram on Thursday 31st March. The first revealed how severe the leak was in my heart and the amount of damage to the mitral valve. The second test revealed my arteries were clear (no blockages). The next step, a surgeon visited and chatted to me about the details of my problem, the types of surgery and setting a date. The surgeon advised my mitral valve could be repaired and that I was eligible for keyhole heart surgery which is slightly a higher risk than open heart surgery. I have chosen this option and am due to have my operation towards the end of May. I am so thankful for medical advances, dedicated nurses, doctors and surgeons that give us a better quality of life. My mother may have been alive today as I think she may have had a similar condition. When she was in her fifties, I remember her mentioning that a doctor had noted to her after an x-ray, that she had a spot on her heart. She didn't investigate it further. If there is known heart disease in your family I would recommend to have heart health checks regularly. To all, stay safe, keep healthy and love life...God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment